Lamb Burgers With Roasted Red Pepper Relish And Avocados
Here’s your Labor Day cookout special that’s different from the norm. Ground lamb grilled as a burger with the richness of avocoado and a bit of salad and of course red wine, enjoy.
2 lbs. Trimmed coarsely ground lamb
1 tsp. Minced garlic
1 tsp. Ground coriander
1 tsp. Ground cumin
1/4 Red onion-chopped
1/2 tsp. Grated lemon zest
1 tbsp. Olive oil
1/4 of a head iceberg lettuce-cut into chiffonade (thin slices)
2 1/2 tsp. Mayonnaise
1 tsp. Balsamic vinegar
2 ripe Hass Avocados
1 French baguette
Salt and Pepper
Red Bell Pepper Relish
1/4 tbsp. Olive oil
2 Cloves garlic-finely minced
3 Plum tomatoes-blanched,
peeled, seeded and diced
1 large Red bell pepper-roasted, peeled, seeded and diced (jarred peppers are fine)
1/2 tsp. Thyme leaves
1 tsp. Sugar or Honey
6 Basil leaves-minced
Salt and Pepper
Here’s What To Do:
1. Place the lamb in a large bowl; add the garlic, coriander, cumin, red onion and lemon zest. Chill for 1/2 hour in the refrigerator, to allow the flavors to blend.
2. Prep the bell pepper relish. Combine the olive oil and onion in a saucepan and sauté over medium heat for 3 minutes or until translucent. Stir in the garlic, tomatoes, bell pepper, thyme, sugar, salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes. Adjust the
seasonings if necessary and stir in the basil. Keep warm.
Start a medium hot grill
3. In a bowl, mix the iceberg lettuce together with the mayonnaise, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper until blended. Chill.
Woody’s note: to chiffonade the lettuce, take several large leaves and roll them together, then cut across the roll to get the thin strips
4. Divide the meat mix into 12 evenly sized balls then, with wet hands shape into flat mini burgers, push down in the center with your thumbs.
5. Sear the burgers for a minute or two on the direct heat and then move to an indirect area to keep them from flaring up from the lamb drippings. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Split the baguette in half and toast. Put the bread halves back together and then cut into 24 slices. Dress the bottoms with the iceberg lettuce chiffonade and then a mini burger; top each with an avocado slice or two. Place a teaspoon of bell pepper relish over each mini burger and close with the top of the baguette.
What Goes With What Wines Selections
Bodega Catena Zapata Malbec ‘05, Mendoza Argentina (Malbec)
Very rich and dense with gobs of fruit, blackberry, fig and black plum. The wine tastes of fruit, spice and mineral with a bit of oak and nicly polished tannin. $18 sorry NWA
Castle Rock Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley ‘05 (Cabernet_Sauvignon)
Another winner from CR with aromas of black cherry plum and blackberry. It has nice fresh fruit and a bit of tannin. $12